D2 - Resubmission
Omniya Tajni
D2: Justify the choice of animation technique for the frame rate and duration
When it came to starting to create my animation for the client, I knew that it would be used as an introduction for a mobile device app, therefore I know I needed to make it short and snappy but showcase what the client wants me to include. Due to using application software, I know myself as an audience I wouldn't want the introduction to be loaded for a long duration but I would also know that I didn't want to make it too short, therefore I was looking to make my animation ideally between 30seconds - 1 minutes. I
believe that 30 seconds has an appropriate length of time to put as a loading screen on an app. So ideally I knew that making my animation at 24 frames per second would be too long, so I decided to stick to making an animation at 12 frames per second. The reason why I decided it to not be 24 frames and not too long is because the client said that my animation would be used as an introduction for the festival app, therefore I realised 24 frames per second would be too slow for an introduction, whereas 12 frames per second would be short, snappy and memorable.
The client has asked me to have a themed character that is included as a central part of the animation. I wanted to have a theme for my animation, something where I can use the character to use his skills to showcase different performances that will be shown in the festival. I believed that I could have a magician as my central character and he could do 'magic tricks' to show different performances that will be presented on the festival. I believe that my target audience would like this because having a magician is common in a performance and audience usually familiarise themselves with a magician doing magic tricks with his/her wand and they usually enjoy the tricks they do and are happy with the performance. So not only is my main character familiarised with audiences but the target audience will be able to enjoy the mini introduction.
believe that 30 seconds has an appropriate length of time to put as a loading screen on an app. So ideally I knew that making my animation at 24 frames per second would be too long, so I decided to stick to making an animation at 12 frames per second. The reason why I decided it to not be 24 frames and not too long is because the client said that my animation would be used as an introduction for the festival app, therefore I realised 24 frames per second would be too slow for an introduction, whereas 12 frames per second would be short, snappy and memorable.
The client has asked me to have a themed character that is included as a central part of the animation. I wanted to have a theme for my animation, something where I can use the character to use his skills to showcase different performances that will be shown in the festival. I believed that I could have a magician as my central character and he could do 'magic tricks' to show different performances that will be presented on the festival. I believe that my target audience would like this because having a magician is common in a performance and audience usually familiarise themselves with a magician doing magic tricks with his/her wand and they usually enjoy the tricks they do and are happy with the performance. So not only is my main character familiarised with audiences but the target audience will be able to enjoy the mini introduction.
Also, the fact that the magician is doing his magic tricks in a theatre it also adds to the familiarity that this is a festival and the performers would need an audience and support, so it gives the audience that atmosphere that this is a festival. In my animation it has a magician that moves his wand around, to do a 'magic trick' and while he does this he promotes different performers that will be performing in the Progress Arts Weekend Festival. The performers that I decided to show was singers, artists, poets, jugglers and musicians. After he showcases them very briefly, he then moves his wand one more time, making himself disappear and the page exploding, this then introduces the audience to what the app is and it welcomes them to the festival. The reason I decided to do this is because it's unexpected as the audience were used to watching him showcase the different performers briefly and because it shows the magician’s talent as he made himself disappear and made smoke appear, which is expected.
Getting feedback from my peers, has allowed me to improve my animation and I believe now I was able to produce an animation to the best quality and should successfully meet the client requirements. However, I believe that if I had more time I could have done better. I understand that I haven't include a variety of the 12 principles of animation that I could have added easily during the animation. If I was to do this then I believe that my animation would have been much better than its current state. During my planning stage I believe I should have done a lot of research on my animation and especially learning how to use the software to a professional standard, this would have had allowed me to include a wide variety of principles of animation. But overall, I believe that my animation is successful and that my target audience would enjoy watching this as the introduction for the mobile app.
I strictly followed my animation through my animation and didn't make any amendments but adding the extra scenes in order to make it 30 seconds and meet the client requirements. in the last shot of my storyboard I wasn't able to include this due to not enough time, but if I had a lot of time then I could have added this in my animation to give more familiarity and allow the audience to have options to choose from in the application.
If I was to do this differently, I believe there are many factors that I will change. At first, I would have wanted for the magician to walk in to the stage, to make it seem like he is walking into the mobile app and maybe when he arrives into the centre of the stage I should maybe get him to say a few words, like 'Hello everyone! Welcome to the Progress Arts Festival App.' Then probably explain what he will be doing. I feel like I should have done this because then it would have given the audience more insight and formality as to what is happening, rather than having it welcome the audience at the very end. This is a factor I would change in my animation only because I feel like it would give the audience an insight at the start rather than them being so confused.
Comparison to another animation
If I were to compare my animation to another, I would pick this animation magic show I found on YouTube. The animation narrative is extremely similar to mine, where it has a magician doing magic tricks in a theatre, with an audience cheering him on while he does the tricks.
When comparing my animation to my pre-production documents. I believed that I followed them well, my concept art and storyboard played a huge part in the production process of my animation, as due to planning I knew the idea I had in my head and use the best of my ability to make the idea work. My mood-board was able to identify the colours and styles I will be using in my production. I believe my pre-production documents allowed me to produce a successful animation.
In conclusion, I am quite proud of my animation as I followed my initial ideas and followed all the steps and information I included in my pre-production documents, with just a few adjustments, which was adding more scenarios on my animation to make it a 30 second animation. I believe that my animation would be fun and engaging, but I if I had more time to plan and produce the animation, I would have added a wide range of different principles of animation, but regardless I am very strong that the target audience would like and engage with my animation.
I strictly followed my animation through my animation and didn't make any amendments but adding the extra scenes in order to make it 30 seconds and meet the client requirements. in the last shot of my storyboard I wasn't able to include this due to not enough time, but if I had a lot of time then I could have added this in my animation to give more familiarity and allow the audience to have options to choose from in the application.
If I was to do this differently, I believe there are many factors that I will change. At first, I would have wanted for the magician to walk in to the stage, to make it seem like he is walking into the mobile app and maybe when he arrives into the centre of the stage I should maybe get him to say a few words, like 'Hello everyone! Welcome to the Progress Arts Festival App.' Then probably explain what he will be doing. I feel like I should have done this because then it would have given the audience more insight and formality as to what is happening, rather than having it welcome the audience at the very end. This is a factor I would change in my animation only because I feel like it would give the audience an insight at the start rather than them being so confused.
Comparison to another animation
When comparing my animation to my pre-production documents. I believed that I followed them well, my concept art and storyboard played a huge part in the production process of my animation, as due to planning I knew the idea I had in my head and use the best of my ability to make the idea work. My mood-board was able to identify the colours and styles I will be using in my production. I believe my pre-production documents allowed me to produce a successful animation.
In conclusion, I am quite proud of my animation as I followed my initial ideas and followed all the steps and information I included in my pre-production documents, with just a few adjustments, which was adding more scenarios on my animation to make it a 30 second animation. I believe that my animation would be fun and engaging, but I if I had more time to plan and produce the animation, I would have added a wide range of different principles of animation, but regardless I am very strong that the target audience would like and engage with my animation.
Comments
Post a Comment